The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising. Big flashy ads just mean a law firm likes to advertise but say nothing about the ability to effectively represent you.
These steps will help you find and choose the right lawyer for you…
- Ask family, friends, co-workes and acquaintances if they know a personal injury lawyer that has helped them, that they like and that they recommend.
- If you already know a lawyer, ask that lawyer if they recommend someone that specializes in personal injury law.
- Do some internet research. Check out your prospective lawyer's law firm website. Top lawyers are often peer reviewed and rated. Check to see if your prospective lawyer is Martindale Hubbel “AV Rated.” This reliable resource denotes experienced, peer-reviewed, top-rated lawyers. You can also check to see if they are on the peer-reviewed and nominated Thomson Reuters “SuperLawyers” list. There are other honors and distinctions that can give you some insight on your prospective lawyer's body of work. You can also look to see if they are 5 star rated on Avvo and scroll through their Google reviews. Client reviews and peer reviews are helpful and informative when choosing a lawyer.
- Call and see how easy it is to speak with the lawyer who will actually handle your case. One of the biggest client complaints is they can't talk to their lawyer or their lawyer won't call them back. Is it easy to get a hold of your prospective lawyer? Do they call you back? Are they professional? Do they answer your questions patiently and clearly?
- Ask your prospective lawyer about their experience. Ask if they are battle tested. Ask about the extent of their trial and court experience. Ask your prospective lawyer if they go to court, try and win cases. Surprisingly, more and more lawyers out there have little actual trial and courtroom experience.
Once you take these steps and speak with your prospective lawyer, gauge your comfort level. Don't over think the process. If it feels like a good fit, it probably is.
If you would like a free consultation about your case to see if we are the right fit, call us at 314-300-8380.